Monday, September 1, 2008

Just say NO to Q-tips

Thank you Christy (my sister) who sent this to me. It's about time I get back to a serious post. I get this question all the time. Often in the office they don't tell me, but I pull out my otoscope, look in the ears and like a magician tell them to stop using Q-tips. They blush and say, how did you know (like I discovered some dark secret of theirs). Anyway, this article says it all.
What it doesn't say is how to solve the problem...just let me know when you have finished reading the article... Okay, you done yet?
So, just let it come out. If it gets clogged, then use sweet oil or olive oil. A couple of drops a day will do ya. It softens the wax so the little hairs in your ears can sweep the stuff out. Send me an email if you want to know a good way to prevent swimmers ear (random thought).
So, don't forget to check out the video on that link too. It shows what happens when you play too much spider man on your X-box. Oh, and it makes you fat! Make your kids go out and play!
My list of objects I've pulled out of ears so far...and the moral of the story.
-pencil eraser x1 (don't fall asleep around your classmates)
-beans x1 (remind your child where his mouth is)
-beads x2 (stop beading around your children)
-rocks x3 (good luck)
-baby cockroach x1 (don't get drunk and fall asleep outside)
-dead ant (hmmm isn't that a pink panther song?)
-pounds of wax (again, back to the point of this post)
Good luck with those little experimenting children, and stop using Q-tips yourselves! Oh, wait. Am I putting myself out of business here? :)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Yeah, Brian is such a great example...Ellie tries walking around with a Q-tip in each ear, which I promptly remove and tell her no.

Melisa said...

Daven likes to stick stuff up his nose instead. Brad is grateful for his time with you guys to know how to get them out and let us avoid a trip to the ER. :)