Friday, May 1, 2009

If you watch TV...

Then congratulation, you like me, are being shaped by our world.  What you spend your time doing, reading, watching,  you become.  Desensitization comes by being fed the same stuff over and over again until you rationalize it in your head as not being all that bad.  Then you find others that feel the same way (they watch the same crap) and you start taking comfort because you're now "joining the crowd".  If you don't keep building up on your moral values then it's like getting around in a hover-round instead of walking.   You end up fat.  
You see, after my two year mission to Honduras, where all I did was eat, breath, teach, gospel principles, coming back to the states and re-integrating myself was like jumping into the arctic waters naked.  Walking down the hallway's at former UVSC where mostly naked women were dancing on every TV to RB music almost landed me in the Bishops office.  Then I saw that no one else was fazed by this.  After a few weeks to months, it didn't bother me as much.  Wow, how fast and easy it is to slide down the moral fire man's pole!  
Then there was the Show 24.  One of my favorites by far.  Well, after season four I decided that enough violence was enough.  I felt angry and sick after each violent episode.  Then I thought, oh, Hero's would be a good show.  How cool is that to have a quasi X-men take on modern day practical individuals?!  Then after a few episodes it grew very dark, and the villian was more vile than ever by cutting or breaking into innocent people's skulls to steal their power.  Yeah, sick.  Then, after we have finally found Biggest Loser, and American Idol (not without it's ill of making fun of those with a mental illness), I thought TV was better.  That was till one night after AI, a show popped on at 8:00pm.  The initial scene was a woman sitting in a chair.  Her co-worker comes in, they exchange hello's, then he graphically riddles her with bullets with a machine gun.  I was stunned beyond words.  A few more minutes into the show I realize it was the guy's nightmare/dream.  Yeah, like a 4 year old could have differentiated that!  Good thing 5 minutes earlier I sent Brock to bed.  I could go on and on here.  
Basic's are, that sex and violence sell.  Now that everyone is using that to get their show on television and not to be outdone, more sex and more violence are being prescribed to viewers.  Show's demeaning the sacredness of intimacy such as Sex and the City, or Lipstick jungle are atrocious excuses of despicable soap opera's.  TV has for the majority, become a terrible thing.
Don't get me wrong, just like any invention such as planes, rockets, cell phones, etc.  They were all developed for the good and progress of mankind.  This is so for programs (oh how I wish I had more than local channels) like the Discovery channel or Disney etc.  Every invention has been used for evil as well.  Planes deliver bombs, rockets kill and can deliver massive death, cell phones are used in bomb ignitions.  So, I suggest using your TV for good and use your moral values as a gauge of what should be brought into your home.  You are shaped by that which you educate yourself.  Your children hear, see, and learn more than you think they do, whether it came from the "Boob Tube" or your regurgitation by word or attitude.  Molly Mormons and Peter Priesthoods make good parents.

5 comments:

KC and DL said...

Wait...my cell phone could be used to detonate bombs??? Uh, wow, any idea how to make that happen? I had no idea!
Kyle

Jenn said...

Wow...I don't even know all those shows. But I feel the same way. To be honest, I am kinda excited that we are going to have to get rid of the satellite and have to watch normal TV. Oh wait, that's worse.

Deb's Big Hunk said...

Ah, the things we could do with cell phones kyle!

Jennerator...yeah right. Though you might not watch them, I have a hard time you haven't heard of them. hahaha. But hey, you must be walking a lot lately, you're lookin' pretty darn slim.

Debbie said...

My Dad once put it this way...and forgive me because I'm not that eloquent but something like, whatever is on your tv is as if that type of behavior or languauge or violence is actually in your home.
So would you allow infidelity in your home? Or horrible language? Or anything else obscene in your home? Well, you do if you watch those type of shows.
Another point. I once heard it said that your children learn something through everything they watch...good or bad. So ask yourself, what are they learning?

Jenn said...

No seriously, I really don't know some of those shows...and now I'm not going to look them up.

Don't wish for Disney, it's a lot worse than you think. However, Discovery, History, Foodnetwork, HGTV, DIY, The Travel Channel, those are all pretty good. The little kid shows on Nickelodeon are not too bad either.

And thanks for the compliment.