Wednesday, April 14, 2010

CHILDREN ARE NOT ACCESSORIES!

Listen up you wanna-be's Angelina Jolie's So, did any of the women or men listen to the Lords voice this past month? I hope I wasn't the only one that picked up on how selfish parents are these days. All in all, I interpreted the several talks as focusing on how we are all about self gratification. Forgetting that now we are adults and it isn't about us anymore. I'm guilty of it, and maybe that is why I picked up on it so much this last conference. However, I know I'm not the only one. As I look around and talk to other people and see how their children are stunted in their mental and thus scholastic, and spiritual souls. I was once told that being LDS, Catholic etc. was a fear, and guilt based religion. I say, there should be guilt and shame which drives us to be better! If that hasn't occurred, then you won't change. Questions we should ask ourselves... 1) Are you as a parent doing at least the bare minimum of Family home evening, family prayer, and scripture study? 2) If your child is struggling to progress scholastically, have you and your spouse dropped all of the selfish time sucking items (i.e. TV remote), and focused on how your child can progress (i.e. help patiently with homework)? 3) Did you listen to the voice of the lord in prayer and fasting for inspiration on how to make your children spiritually great? As they said in conference, there is a direct coorelation between quality time and quantity of time. If you don't have quantity, then there are not opportunities created for quality. So, set aside the selfish desire to excel in the professional world, turn off the "boob tube", and nurture the children whom so desperately need parents to spend that time with them. Since they obviously can learn more than what is taught in school, take time to teach them. They will remember it forever as "the fact my daddy taught me". Teach them now before they think they know it all. Be the example a parent desires their child to be. If your child is talking back, destructive, rude, etc. Where did he/she learn it from? From those he/she admires...YOU! Stepping down now from my soap box.

No comments: