Thursday, July 10, 2008

An ode to the stay at home mom

Incredible by definition: difficult to believe or extraordinary. That is what a "stay at home mother is". I was at church sunday (not my home ward) and was talking with a mother who had recently moved into that ward. While chatting, she mentioned how she was going to get daycare for her child two days a week whether she found a job or not, just for some "alone time". Now I don't blame her because I would feel the same way due to my unruly lack of patience. And what can I say, I'm a guy and a guy needs his cave time.
But I also thought, how very sad to hear that from a mother with her above average cute baby in her arms. Why have children if you only want to raise them part time?

Then I look at my wife, sisters, and sisters in law. All of which are hard working, full time mothers. I see the women they associate with and how amazing they are with their children. The amount of energy, stamina, patience, love, and understanding continues to blow me away. Having time away from home allows me to reflect on how amazing the "stay at home" mom really is. She doesn't have a job to where she can "escape". She can't come home and have dinner all hot and warm ready to eat without doing it herself. The mountains of laundry to do due to messy children (husband included) are never ending. Scheduling in play groups, swim time, zoo time, and reading time is all part of the normal routine.

It's amazing the house gets cleaned, the mountain of toys remains minimal throughout the house, finances are closely examined, and bills miraculously get paid on time. The juggle with screaming children while carrying on a phone conversation is nearly impossible but somehow is accomplished. Most of the "me time" is eaten up if a child is teething, sick, or decides not to take a nap. To squeeze in a blog post and a quick run is a lofty yet somehow obtainable goal.

A thankless job indeed, and having only one mothers day a year definitely is not enough. I just wanted to thank all the "stay at home" mothers out there for providing the greatest sacrifice for your children... you. And a thank you to all who are not full time mothers (due to unavoidable circumstances), but yet are aspiring to such a noble sacrifice. Our nation of closely monitored and cared-for-youth whom you raise will be our societal pillars of tomorrow.



Thanks and no thanks Jennerator.

Yes Cassie, I don't think that's what Brigham Young had in mind (leave the family so she could go work...)when he spoke about his desire for all women to have an education. By the way, I admire you for being a teacher. It's such a noble profession indeed. Teachers have so much power to do so much good for the children of our nation. I know mine had a great influence on me.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

We stay-at-home mom's are great aren't we!?!

It's nice to here it from someone on the outside though...hope you guys are having a great time.


I wish you were here (Debbie, not Richard, well, Richard too, but...nevermind).

Jenn said...

Man, I totally spelled half those words wrong...it was pretty early in the mornin' so cut me some slack.

cassie said...

Great post. Whitney (Stewart) Heap and I were just talking about how rare stay at home moms are. She went to her class reunion and all her LDS girlfriends are now working moms--2 dentists in the group. How could someone let a stranger raise her child??? I read Debbie's blog all the time, and I'm glad to see you married such a great wife and mother!
Maybe I'll blog about moms as well. I'm a new blogger...

Debbie said...

First off...nice picture of me. I don't know what it is about you posting unflattering pictures of me. Anyway, I enjoyed this BUT you couldn't pay me to go back into the workforce again. I don't know how you put up with all you do. I mean you know surgeons and all...