Thursday, January 8, 2009

Third hand smoking

Here's some more info to put out there for those who tell me "But I don't smoke in the house, or in the car...if my kid isn't in it."
One day I asked a patient mother if she smokes in the home.  She said "oh no, I smoke up in my room ..."  She looked like a deer in the headlights when I told her that her room was actually part of the house.  Sometimes you have to think outside the bun.
A New Cigarette Hazard: 'Third-Hand Smoke' from The New York Times Third-hand smoke is a new term being used to describe the invisible yet toxic brew of gasses and particles clinging to smokers’ hair and clothing, not to mention cushions and carpeting, that lingers long after second-hand smoke has cleared from a room. The residue includes heavy metals, carcinogens, and even radioactive materials that young children can get on their hands and ingest, especially if they’re crawling or playing on the floor
It goes on to say...

“The central message here is that simply closing the kitchen door to take a smoke is not protecting the kids from the effects of that smoke,” he said. “There are carcinogens in this third-hand smoke, and they are a cancer risk for anybody of any age who comes into contact with them.”

Among the substances in third-hand smoke are hydrogen cyanide, used in chemical weapons; butane, which is used in lighter fluid; toluene, found in paint thinners; arsenic; lead; carbon monoxide; and even polonium-210, the highly radioactive carcinogen that was used to murder former Russian spy Alexander V. Litvinenko in 2006. Eleven of the compounds are highly carcinogenic.

To conclude... I had a pregnant lady in the office some months ago.  I told her that she needed to quit smoking for the health of the child.  She told me to stop and not talk to her about it.  She didn't care, she wasn't going to quit and was getting rather upset at me for even talking to her about it.  Yeah, I'm the enemy.  Poor helpless baby.

5 comments:

Melisa said...

I don't even know why they are legal. Awful.

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Our hospital campus went smoke free this past Nov. I've heard more patients whine about that than the food (or pain....)

Addicting. Disgusting. Deadly.

Jenn said...

Any addiction I have a problem with, whether it be food, illegal substances, etc. Especially when it affects more than the individual addicted.

I figure if they want to kill themselves, be my guest. This may sound callous and unsympathetic, but any sort of...disease that those who participate in drugs, alcohol or cigarettes (or any other unhealthy habit) develop I really don't have much compassion for.

Now, before you (mainly Brad...or Lisa) ream me up one side and down the other, I'm not including innocent bystanders and I understand that most everyone has an addiction to something (mine happens to be books...my husband wishes it was cleaning ;)

Deb's Big Hunk said...

Way to go U. Valley! Tell them to go buy some Nicorrett gum! :)

Jennerator, I must disagree with your "callousness". I used to agree, but, I think people with bad habits/addictions, realize the habits are bad and damaging to themselves. Most of them are crying for help from the inside, but don't quite have the desire to leave such a friend behind. Many of them don't realize the danger they are causing other people with their addictions. It's like people who commit suicide. A very very selfish act, with atomic repercussions on those around them.
I guess I had to ream you up and down since Lisa or Brad didn't :)

Jenn said...

Richard, if that was a reaming, it was pathetic ;)

You know, they may be crying for help, but unless they actually get it and stick with whatever help they get, I don't feel too badly. However, I do feel saddened that they made the choices in the first place, typically as stupid, immature teenagers and they then live with a lifetime of consequence and addiction.