Saturday, August 23, 2008

Leaving my mark in Iowa

I attended a basic science course for the past month and a half learning all about how to fix problems in the head and neck. Well, it stunk being away from my fantastic family, but I made good use of my time. I decided to lose some weight (since I was cooking for myself), and amp up my physical conditioning in preparation for the 15K Tulsa Run coming up the end of October. So, with the fear of Debbie kicking my trash, I began running. It was usually to scorching hot for me to run after classes, so I went back to the house where I was staying, ate some food, vegged in front of his big screen TV and awaited digestion to have a fair chance. At 9:00pm I set off on my dark run. Since I don't have the best vision at night, it was always an adventure.
One night, I started off. There was a lot of construction going on in this new neighborhood and some of the sidewalks were unfinished. Well, somebody decided to all of a sudden fix them without giving me the heads up. The nerve! Anyway, as I was jogging, I felt something pull at my feet. I realized that I had passed over some yellow plastic tape about ankle high with writing on it. Hoping it wasn't a crime scene, I carried on. Then I realized it was recently poured cement. Well, I thought it was over and plunk, plunk, I ran over another patch of the newly poured stuff. It felt solid under my feet so I kept going.
On my next run 4 days later I ran the same route. All of a sudden I saw foot prints in the concrete and thought, HA, I wasn't the only one! Someone must have run across it before I did. Then I looked closer. I realized that the shoe prints in the sidewalk matched exactly the prints on my soles. Wow, that's better than Hollywood. Those lucky Iowans will have my foot prints for a very long time now.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Nice...we'll try to find you some wet cement out here.

KC and DL said...

Dude, you need more than six weeks to figure out how to fix your messed up head!

KC and DL said...

Rich, I've always had this dream of being able to dissect my own body. Wouldn't that be sweet? I mean, to see your heart that's been keeping you alive your whole life, etc? Maybe it's just me, Dana Lee thinks I'm a bit psycho and I probably am.
KCD

Jenn said...

I've just noticed that you are now infamous, when did that happen exactly?

Deb's Big Hunk said...

Infamous...that means more than famous... (taken from the 3 Amigos movie. :)

Melisa said...

Oooo, I'm telling! ;)