Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pioneer Heritage

Well, time to take a break from my negative thoughts and direct them towards something very enlightening. I was able to go to a fabulous event in Nauvoo Illinois this last. It's called just that, the Nauvoo pageant. It's a play put on by members of the Mormon church who volunteer 2 weeks of their time away from their normal every day jobs to be actors in this gigantic production.
Starting at 7:00pm, there are activities set up around a huge field spotted with trees where they have games from the early 1800's set up for everyone to play. It looked like the kids were having the time of their lives.
At 9:00, the play starts. It's an inspirational story about the Mormon Saints (saint means follower of Christ) in the early 1800's. It is full of stories based on families coming from Europe to the America's after their conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ. There are stories of their personal blessings and persecutions against them and the prophet Joseph Smith. It was very inspirational and sent a good feeling coursing through the soul. The music was amazing.
I was assigned to help out in the first aid tent. Took care of a kid who hit his head on a ladder. Man, ice is a beautiful thing. Anyway, since not much was happening, I went meandering. I spoke with an actor who was there with his family. Six of his nine (he has no "cave" time) were in the play. He said that much of the cast were families who did the acting in family groups. He said it was amazing how the experience pulled his family closer together. The costumes were all hand made, and everyone in the cast changed at least once during the play. There were approximately 250 to 400 people on the stage at different points during the play.
I met another of the actors after the play had finished (at 11:00) who was there with his family of four. He had just finished his residency and decided to take out another loan to pay for their "vacation" in Nauvoo so he and his family could take part in the pageant. He couldn't say enough about how wonderful the experience was for him and his family. Yup, I'm inspired. Who needs to take a gluttonous cruise and get fat when you can have 10 times the joy and fulfillment of being in a large spiritual production?
One of the pre-program festivities. Lets go Deb!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I don't know what to say...it looks like I have two options. Get fat or look fat. Have you seen those pioneer dresses? I've decided I wasn't born in those times because I wouldn't have made it across the plains. On the other hand, if I had to be a pioneer, this is the way to go. I could go home take a shower, sleep in a nice bed with AC, go out to eat, put on normal clothes after the production...Anyway I guess I have three years to think about it...I was looking forward to stuffing my face and being pampered though...it's a rough life being married to a resident. I need a little pampering.

Jenn said...

Wait wait, you did not just tell Debbie that that dress hides bodily imperfections did you??? Oh Richard, when will you ever learn?

Frankly, if I'm gonna look fat anyway, I'll just pile it on (am I talking about clothes or food?).

I've seen a documentary on the Nauvoo Pageant, it looks pretty neat. I'd like to go to Nauvoo sometime (it's been YEARS). My dad was Abinadi in the Hill Cumorah Pageant back in the day...maybe I've got what it takes to act..........ah, no.

Deb's Big Hunk said...

Deb... the dresses hide whatever imperfections you perceive your body as having. I don't see that you have any, but that's just me.

Brad Hart said...

Sounds like fun. Nauvoo is quite the place.