Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Why I didn't do Psychiatry

For all of you women out there that never talk mean, hit, or belittle your children, Kudos' to you!
Today, I received a consult on the 8th floor of our hospital. We never like those because it's where the adolescent and child psychiatric patients are. Not that we don't like children, heaven knows, 60% of our practice is dealing with kids. It adds spice and fun to our job. Its more of leaning about them and how they ended up on the psychiatric floor. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them come from a dysfunctional family. Divorced families, abusive parents, abusive siblings, abusive cousins-aunts-uncles etc. This kid was no different. I was seeing him because he had shoved paper pieces in his ear canals. He was 7 years old but didn't even talk as well as my 4 year old. He shoved the pieces in his ear because everyone was too loud.
Anyway, just made me think of how lucky I was growing up in a home with loving parents who would give their own life for mine. I would do the same for my kids. Thank you mothers and fathers out there who would do the same.

7 comments:

Brad Hart said...

Law enforcement is another career that greatly benefits from this kind of digression in society U could always become a cop!

Deb's Big Hunk said...

I guess that would put me in the category of "Never wanting to be a cop" either. But yes, druggies and psycho maniacs seem to attract the cops for all the wrong reasons. We should send them to D.C. to clean up for us.

Jenn said...

It's pretty sad. I see parents everywhere (at least lately) berating their children in all sorts of public places (especially therapy). I can't imagine what they do privately. And that stupid show, I htink it's called 'The Cleaner', I can't even watch it (although Brian loves it). It makes me sick.

You wouldn't have made money is social work either.

Deb's Big Hunk said...

I actually saw one episode of "the cleaner" and really liked it. It showed the terrible side of addiction and how it has to be resolved. Intertainment with truth...my kind of stuff.
No, social workers have a heart of gold. I dated a girl once with one. I don't know how she did it.

Jenn said...

I know social workers have a heart of gold, you just don't want to be one if you don't want to be around all the horrible stuff that goes on in a family, I could never do it...

I didn't like The Cleaner because the episode I saw, showed exactly how to do it all in front of a 4 year old and a young teen...

Lisa said...

My husband was in socail services for 12 years in cali and we adopted our older children from foster care and MOST social wrokers are not made of gold, but of lies. :) He was one of the few golden ones. lol Both of my older kids were sexually molested, abandoned, and they were finally taen from birth mom when the cops found my daughter (at only three years old at the time) digging through a dumpster behind a Burger King looking fr food for my son (who was 2 at the time and was on the ground outside of the dumpster licking soda off the ground)and their mom was no where to be found. Andi and Miguel had walked from their apartment blocks away by themselves. Mom was not home. Lovely.

Deb's Big Hunk said...

Holy smokes Lisa! I sit corrected. YOU and your husband have golden hearts!
Well, as for my experience, I only know the social workers I work with and one I dated in college. So far all my experience of them are purely amazing people. You'll have to share with me your side.