Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Secret ingredient

The title is for all you Kung Fu Panda connoisseurs out there...
Remember Po (the panda), said "ya know dad, sometimes I just don't see how we're related", more or less, then his dad (the duck) says "I think it's time to tell you the truth"... Po gets interested, then his father says, "It's time to tell you the secret ingredient to my noodle soup".   Sorry, I'm gonna ruin the movie for those of you who haven't watched it yet, so you might as well stop reading now.  
It's "Nothing".  
Well, I actually have a sinus infection right now, so I was inspired to share more than nothing with you.  All you Neti Pot lovers, or Sinu Rinse users pay attention...
If you don't have the recipe yet, here it is -- the salt mixture which creates the hypertonic solution for the rinse.  
Some things to keep in mind...  
-Pseudomonas (a very bad bug) loves standing water.  It has been known to be found in bleach solutions.  So, make sure you don't let water stay in the pot/bottle after use, and wash them out well.
-Use too much salt and WOW!  You will feel like someone put a hot iron in the middle of your head.  Trust me, I know from experience.
-Afrin spray, a vasoconstrictor (shrinks blood vessels and hence your vascular nose) is good to use for up to a max of 5 days.  Then your body becomes dependent on the stuff, it stops working well, and it takes weaning measures to get off the stuff.  Having said that, it's great to use to open your nose before washes.  Again, up to a total of 5 days.  
Okay, the secret solution...  a.k.a. 411
4 cups of water
1 tsp sea salt or pickling salt (non iodized will do as well)
1 tsp baking soda
Bring to a boil for 8 minutes.  Then let cool for 45 minutes.  Then go to town!  Wash dem' buggers outa dare (said with an Oklahoma accent)
For a more concentrated solution, meaning more hypertonic, meaning fights bacteria better... Add an extra teaspoon of salt.  But beware, the more salt you add, the more potential for the burning sensation.  So don't get teaspoon mixed up with tablespoon.  Yeah, it really burns, especially when you add two tablespoons.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Do you sniff it? I take nasonex spray for sinuses and a nasel polyp and it doesNOTHING to help with my allergies. I am also oncerned ecause I know it shrinks the blood vessles and I have had two strokes so I am not sure should take it. Any advice?

Debbie said...

I'd rather just take drugs...

Deb's Big Hunk said...

I'm glad you said something Lisa... Maybe I can clarify...
I wouldn't recommend sniffing the salt water. You just squirt the bottle up your nose and let it run out the same or opposite nose.

As far as the Nasonex...
It's a topical steroid. There is very very minimal systemic (body spread) effect of the medicine. You need to be taking that on a daily basis for nasal polyposis. It works slowly (over many days).

As far as the Afrin...
It is fast acting (within seconds) and lasts about 12 hours. It also is a topical (not absorbed) nasal spray. It only shrinks the vessels and nasal mucosa it lands on.
Lisa, sounds like you need to be on an antihistamine, and a anti-leukotriene as well. I take a vigorous approach to nasal polyposis. I love surgery, but I also like to nip problems in the bud.

Anonymous said...

I am a frequent sinus infection fighter. I successfully battled one last month. My secret is doubling up my Flonase spray to 2x's per day, pseudaphed PE every 6 hours and sinus rinses 2x's per day. Airborne is good to help boost the vitamins in my system too.

Any updates on your program there?
Keith

Anonymous said...

I've had one episode of Sinusitis ever....It nearly killed me.

But I'm with Deb. The drugs worked....

Jenn said...

After swimming in our pool my whole life, I have an aversion to letting water of any kind up my nose...drugs are wonderful thing.

Lisa said...

Thanks Dr! Can I sniff the Nasonex?

Deb's Big Hunk said...

Lisa, I would recommend talking to your neurologist and ENT physician since I don't know the cause for your strokes. As far as I know, even systemic steroids aren't contraindicated in strokes. Steroids act mainly as an anti-inflammatory medication.
I always encourage to seek second opinions by other doctors though.

InWeighOverMyHead said...

You are a DR and you will not cost me a $50 co-pay for 10 minutes! LOL